Diatomaceous Earth (DE)
Mineral Magic - the science of silica ...
Do you ever wish you could move away from using chemical toxins in your home, on your pets, or in your garden? Would you prefer a GREEN, non-toxic alternative to common household needs but don't know where to go or what to use?
The answer is closer than you think! Diatomaceous Earth - not just completely natural but certified organic, a food grade fine white powder that provides a fantastic array of uses in the household, on the farm, and in commercial and horticultural applications.
Please contact us for a copy of the latest Bio Gro Certificate for Diatomaceous Earth.
Available in 1kg and 22.68kg bags. Also available are the DE Pest Pistol and DE Shaker.
What is Diatomaceous Earth?
Quite simply Diatomaceous Earth is the fossilized remains of ancient algal shells called Diatoms or Phytoplankton. Diatoms are the grass of the waterways of the planet. Much in the same way grass is the staple food of land based herbivores. Diatoms (algae) are the foundation basis of all aquatic life and form the most plentiful group of individual species known to man. There are more types of Diatoms in the world than all land plants combined.
The Diatoms living in the waterways absorb minerals and elements from water enabling them to ‘build‘ their tiny shells. Consequentially, the fossilized remains have captured and contain the some 15 trace minerals used to form the shell. As they die the microscopic diatoms drop to the bottom of the waterways and form deposits of essentially marine sediment.
These sedimentary deposits are later mined, milled, dried and bagged creating Diatomaceous Earth or more commonly known as DE. DE is widely used internationally for a host of industrial, agricultural and horticultural applications.
Some Diatoms are salt water based, others are fresh water based. The product we sell is fresh-water DE. It is considered to be ‘Food Grade’ and has been shown to have a myriad of uses. For a number of decades fresh-water or food grade DE has demonstrated to have excellent health benefits for mammals and plants when used correctly.
Diatomaceous Earth Applications
There are a large number of uses for DE so please don't hesitate to get in touch if you have any questions.
Diatomaceous Earth is an all natural product that has an incredible number of uses:
- In the garden:
Diatomaceous Earth from Perma-guard has a wide range of applications and uses in the garden as a natural tool in your arsenal against pest and parasites. DE can be applied wet or dry. Application can be as simple a hand spread or choose from one of our DE tailored applicators. Alternatively mixed with water at a rate of 20gms per 5 litres you can apply via a pump up type sprayer or simply brush on items at a higher concentration.
- In the home:
Food grade Diatomaceous Earth is useful in controlling and discouraging insects from your home, garage, workshop, sleep-outs, sheds – just about any building where control is necessary.
- Anti-caking agent:
Diatomaceous Earth is a completely natural, chemical free anti-caking agent. It has very useful benefits in products and feeds that experience difficulties in pouring and flowing. Particularly stock-feeds containing molasses tend to form clumps and become sticky. Not only will the clumps become hard to pour, they start to encourage mould and potential wastage can occur. DE when mixed with the feed will coat the particles preventing them from binding together. This enables the feed to flow better making the feed less likely to mould due to the moisture absorbency characteristics of Fossil Shell Flour.
- Grain storage protector:
Simply remove 2% of stored grain, replace with DE and blend.
- Commercial insecticide:
Seriously effective on bugs, they literally have no chance with the mechanical action of DE working like razor blades once contacted with their exo-skeletons.
- Consumption by mammals:
Perma-guard’s Fossil Shell Flour deposit is 89 - 95 percent amorphous silica. As well as being very high in silica percentage it also contains 15 essential trace minerals including phosphorous, selenium, calcium, sodium, potassium, magnesium, copper, zinc and iron.
As well as the trace minerals, Fossil Shell Flour particles are negatively charged (rather rare). Heavy metals, bacteria and viruses, pesticides, drug residues and the likes of E-Coli are all positively charged.
Some of the reported potential benefits of daily consumption of DE include:
- 15 Trace minerals – beneficial for soil, plants, animals and potentially even humans
- Better feed conversion, improves weight gain and general health
- Promotes shinier coats, hair, skin, manes, hooves, nails and plumage
- Reduces fleas, ticks, flies, general manure odour and fly population
- Cost effective health supplement.
Diatomaceous Earth Dosage Rates
Recommended dosage rates for animals and livestock
|Kittens||1/2 teaspoon per day|
|Adult Cats||1 teaspoon per day|
|Puppies||1/2 to 1 teaspoon p/day dependent upon size and breed|
|Small Dogs under 15kg||1 teaspoon per day|
|Medium Dogs 15kg – 35kg||1 tablespoon per day|
|Large Dogs over 35 - 50kg||2 tablespoons per day|
|Giant Dogs 50kg +||2 heaped tablespoons + per day|
|Cattle, Dairy Cows, Pigs||2% of dry feed ration per day|
|Chickens, Pheasants, Quail||5% mixed in feed per day|
|Goats, Sheep, Alpacas, Llamas||2% in grain per day|
|Horses, Ponies, Donkeys||1/2 to 1 cup in daily ration|
|Zoo animals||2% in daily feed|
|Two legged mammals||1 heaped tablespoons + per day|
Recommended dosage rates for plants and crops
|5 litre ‘pump up’ type sprayer||20gms|
|15 litre Backpack sprayer||60gms|
|200 litre automatic sprayer||800 - 900 grams|
|Crop application||1 – 2.5kg p/acre|
|10 litre bucket ‘brush on’||2 cups|
|10 litre watering can||2 cups|
Recommended dose rates for anti-caking agent / grain protectant
|Per volume of grain / product feed||2%|
Storage - We recommend you store your DE in an airtight container upon receipt of your shipped product. DE, water and humidity don't mix from a storage perspective and keeping your DE dry until use will be beneficial to it's efficacy and long term storage.
Diatomaceous Earth Accessories
|Please click on image(s) to enlarge.|
Pest Pistol for Diatomaceous Earth
The Pest Pistol is a very handy applicator for house-hold or as a semi-commercial tool. Constructed from quality plastic it is a 'bellows' puffing DE out an extended lower spout wherever you point it. With a range approaching up to 2 metres it is a fantastic directional tool to achieve those hard to reach areas. Additionally, 'nooks and crannies' are easy to apply DE into with the Pest Pistol. Easily blow into wall crevices and cracks with the pest pistol it will access areas no other applicator will.
Diatomaceous Earth Shaker
Diatomaceous Earth Precautions
- DE production staff working in Food Grade DE mines in the US report no ill effect from prolonged and regular inhalation of dust in the workplace.
- Despite this, dust inhalation of any kind, especially in a pro-longed nature should be considered un-healthy and best avoided.
- We recommend exercising caution and using a mask especially when applying heavy applications and working with volume to avoid an excess of inhalation.
- Asthma suffers or other lung ailments should certainly take extra careful and take additional precautions and be conscious not to breathe the ultra-fine dust particles.
- Avoid getting DE in the eyes of yourself, your animals and livestock. DE is drying to the eyes, so be aware of wind direction.
- DE can be drying to your skin, hands, and feet, similarly to your pets. If you suffer from dry skin you may consider using gloves when handling.
- Some two legged mammals have the potential to experience a healing crisis (detox reaction) when beginning DE consumption. If this occurs, reduce the dose, increase in slow increments until RDA is reached.
- Apply liberally on carpets and similar surfaces. There have been reports of excessive volumes of DE causing issues with certain vacuum cleaners.
- Ensure all spray equipment is cleaned after use to avoid DE leaving residue deposits in the tank, pump, nozzles etc. Simply flushing with clean fresh water for a minute until clean will suffice.
- DE has the potential to kill beneficial insects as well, exercise discretion particularly with flowering plants where bees may frequent in season.
- DE has absolutely nil withholding period when sprayed on fruit and vegetables destined for human consumption. It is harmless and you could spray, pick and eat it all in the same day! What other insecticide can claim that !!!
- NEVER use pool filter grade, industrial grade or any diatomaceous earth other than those labeled "Food Grade" for yourself or your animals. It can poison or kill them.
- Don’t settle for anything less than Perma-guard Fossil Shell Flour for your home, your family, pets, farm or horticultural uses. Fossil Shell Flour is the purest, most refined food grade DE available in the world that we know of. Perma-guard have achieved OMRI (Organic Materials Review Institute) status for Fossil Shell Flour – certified Organic in the United States. New Zealand Organic status has recently been granted by BioGro - BG5339.